Are you worried about how things are going in your relationship with your spouse, your partner, or someone you used to date?
Maybe you feel anxious, scared… Or maybe you just have the sense that something isn’t quite right?
Call us. We can help. 1-866-834-HELP.
Do you feel:
- That you “walk on eggshells” in your relationship, so as not to upset your partner?
- Humiliated by your partner in front of others or in private?
- That your partner will not approve if you make your own decisions, have your own opinions, and come and go as you wish?
- Like your partner doesn’t want you and that no one else would either?
- That there is something wrong with you that makes your partner do these things?
- Trapped and frightened?
- That you can handle your partner’s mood swings, outbursts, accusations, or threats?
- Confused by the fact that your relationship has extreme highs and lows?
- That alcohol, drugs, or food help you deal with what is going on in your relationship?
- Like you can’t tell the truth to your friends, family, your doctor, law enforcement, or others, about what your partner says and does to you?
Does your intimate partner:
- Call you disrespectful names, or criticize your choices and decisions?
- Monitor where you go, what you do, and who you spend time with?
- Physically attack, punish, or “discipline” you by slapping, pinching, biting, hitting, kicking, pushing, strangling, burning, or punching you?
- Threaten to harm you or those you care about?
- Make it difficult for you to work?
- Insist that you engage in sexual activity when you don’t want to?
- Misuse technology such as phones, computers, and apps to track your whereabouts and monitor your contacts with other people?
- At times apologize, promise to make changes, be a better partner, and affirm that he/she loves you and would never hurt you?
- Make all the money-related decisions, deny you access to money, or make you account for all the money you have or earn?
- Joke or threaten about using a weapon against you or someone you care about?
- Frequently accuse you of having affairs?
- Act disrespectfully or violently towards your children, property or animals?
- Speak or act harshly and then later say that it never happened, or that it wasn’t as bad as you are making it out to be?
These things are signs of an abusive relationship. Such a relationship can be confusing, saddening, and scary. Call us to talk. An advocate can help you sort through your experience. Advocates provide an outside perspective that is confidential, supportive, and available at any time, 24-hours a day.
Calling is free. Call 1-866-834-HELP to connect with a local domestic violence advocate today.