Domestic Violence Resources in Maine
For a complete list of Maine's domestic violence resource centers, click here.
Maine's Domestic Violence Resource Centers provide the following services:
- 24-hour helpline: Each center encourages anyone with questions about abuse—victims, friends, family members, coworkers and community members—to use the helpline covered by staff and trained volunteers. Advocates provide help with safety planning; weighing and identifying options; emotional support; and specialized advocacy. From area code (207) call 1.866.834.HELP to be connected with your local Domestic Violence Resource Center. If you are hearing impaired, you can connect via the Maine Telecommunications Relay Service at 1.800.437.1220. Not from Maine? Call the national helpline: 1.800.799.7233 and 1.800.787.3224 (tty).
- Referrals and information: Referrals and Information about community resources are available to meet the specific needs of individuals.
- Temporary emergency shelter and transitional housing: The availability of both short and long-term options for safe places to go is critical to the safety of those who might otherwise remain in or return to abusive situations due to lack of economic and housing alternatives.
- Court advocacy: Advocates help with Protection from Abuse Orders, Parental Rights and Responsibilities and Pro Se Divorce forms. Other services may be available at your local Domestic Violence Resource Center.
- Support groups: Survivors share their problems, offer encouragement in making difficult life choices, and provide support toward personal growth. These groups offer safety planning information, encouragement, hope and strength.
- Batterer’s Intervention Programs: These 48-week behavioral change education programs, certified and monitored by the Department of Corrections, can help batterers examine the controlling behaviors and belief systems that they use to give themselves permission to abuse. The goals of B.I.P are to work toward the safety of victims and to hold abusers accountable for their actions.
- Outreach and Community Education: Community education and public awareness are essential components of our response to domestic abuse. Domestic Violence Resource Centers provide a range of services—training, technical assistance, classroom education, public presentations—in a range of settings that foster a better understanding of issues related to domestic violence, attract community support for program efforts, and challenge the culture that supports abuse.
- School-Based Education: Each local resource center provides programming to educate and inform youth and adults about the issue of Teen Dating Abuse, and explore what is healthy and unhealthy behavior in relationships.
- Specialized Children’s Programming: Contact your local resource center to find out what specialized programs they offer for children exposed to domestic violence.
- Public Policy: MCEDV advocates on behalf of battered women through policy development and legislative initiatives that support battered women and hold batterers accountable.
Nearly all services are free of charge. This is a partial list of the services available; call 1.866.834.HELP to connect with your local Domestic Violence Resource Center and learn more about what is available in your community.
Family Crisis Services (Cumberland County)
P.O. Box 704, Portland, ME 04104
Hotline: 1-800-537-6066; 207-874-1973
All numbers TTY accessible
Family Violence Project (Kennebec & Somerset Counties)
P.O. Box 304, Augusta, ME 04332
Hotline: 1-877-890-7788; 207-623-3569
New Hope for Women (Knox, Lincoln, Sagadahoc & Waldo Counties)
P.O. Box A, Rockland, ME 04841-0733
Admin. & Hotline: 207-594-2128 or 1-800-522-3304
Belfast Office 207-338-6569
Wiscasset Office (207) 882-6222
Bath Office (207) 443-8898
New Hope for Women's Facebook
Partners for Peace (Penobscot & Piscataquis County)
P.O. Box 653, Bangor, ME 04402
Hotline: 1-800-863-9909 or 207-947-0496 or TTY: 207-955-3777
Immigrant Resource Center of Maine
265 Lisbon Street Suite 2 (Second Floor)
Lewiston Maine, 04243
P.O. Box 397
Lewiston Maine, 04243
Phone: (207) 753 -0061