MCEDV is Hiring Contracted Bookkeeping Services
The Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence (MCEDV) seeks proposals for contracted bookkeeping services.
Fee for Service: Negotiable hourly rate
Work Hours: Flexible, estimated 8-12 hours/week. One day per week to be mutually agreed upon by MCEDV and contractor – with willingness to be flexible as needed. More hours may be needed the week prior to the annual fiscal audit and during bi-weekly payroll weeks to properly code payroll to funding sources.
Location: On site at the MCEDV office located at 101 Western Avenue, Augusta, ME
The Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence (MCEDV) mobilizes collaborative community action with and on behalf of a statewide network of Domestic Violence Resource Centers to ensure that all people affected by domestic abuse and violence in Maine are restored to safety and that perpetrators are held accountable. MCEDV builds partnerships that promote public policy, education, and systems advocacy to create and encourage a social, political, and economic environment that fosters communities where the diversity, dignity, and contributions of all are respected and celebrated, and domestic abuse and violence no longer exist.
Purpose and Overview
The Contracted Bookkeeper will work alongside the MCEDV Finance Director to maintain accounts receivable and payable by verifying, allocating and posting financial transactions. This includes a range of activities designed to improve separation of duties and will add an additional layer of internal controls. As a non-profit agency with many funding sources, this contracted position will be an essential team member in the data entry and reporting of the financial details necessary for the staff to best manage the grants that support this work.
The Contracted Bookkeeper will work with the Finance Director at least once a week to ensure that all financial transactions are recorded in QuickBooks. Responsibilities include:
- Maintain accounts receivable and payable by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions
- Print checks
- Process recurring payments to MaineShare, EmpowerDB, SEP accounts, etc.
- Prepare “draw down” reports so that the MCEDV Finance Director can draw down federal funds to cover expenses. Verify deposit into MCEDV checking account.
- Prepare monthly finance statements (balance sheet and profit & loss statements) for all funding sources as well as agency-wide
- Prepare monthly journal report as well as payables and receivables report
- Complete 1099 documents for contractors as well as 1098 report
- Prepare other reports as may be requested by the Finance Director – particularly in preparation for the annual single and MAAP state audit
- Communicate with MCEDV’s audit firm as requested by MCEDV Finance Director
The Contracted Bookkeeper will engage in special projects and other duties to meet MCEDV’s needs at the direction of the Finance Director.
Qualifications and Skills:
The Contracted Bookkeeper shall:
- Have an expert understanding of accrual a well as cash accounting;
- Have expertise and extensive experience working with QuickBooks.
The Contracted Bookkeeper shall be well versed in:
- Non-profit finance;
- And able to carry out responsibilities in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and practices;
- Tax laws of the State of Maine and USA;
- Knowledge of federal and state grant/contract financial guidelines;
- Complex coding of transactions among funding sources, based on grant funding allocations;
- Understanding the audit process – MCEDV undergoes an annual single audit;
- Developing excel spreadsheets and graphs.
The Contracted Bookkeeper will:
- Understand and be committed to issues of diversity and demonstrate the ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Research, analyze, and present information effectively;
- Comply with MCEDV confidentiality requirements as outlined in independent contractor agreement.
- The results of a thorough background check, including a State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) check, Maine Sex Offender Registry, Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Abuse and Neglect investigation, and Motor Vehicle Check, must not contain any disqualifying information. Background screening will be conducted in compliance with all governing laws.
- Inquiry with the Federal Government’s “Excluded Parties List System” – as required to determine whether individual/business falls within the federal Debarment, Suspension, Ineligibility or Voluntary Exclusion lists.
- If an individual or sole proprietor – Contract must present proof of Independent Contractor status
- Enter into a Contractor Agreement with MCEDV
- Experience with a variety of software applications including but not limited to database programs, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Office 365 programs;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Must carry professional liability/bonding insurance (need proof if retained)
- Time management skills;
- Ability to work cooperatively with a variety of people as well as independently with minimal supervision; and
- Ability to successfully manage prioritization of tasks related to multiple projects; and
MCEDV Work Environment May Require Contractor to be able to:
- Manage a fast-paced office environment with the potential for stress;
- Work a flexible schedule when required by work demands;
- Do occasional lifting and transporting of materials.
MCEDV is committed to the principles of equity and inclusiveness and affirmatively seeks to create and maintain a diverse team with varied life experience to best accomplish our mission. We encourage people who are BIPOC (Black Indigenous People of Color), LGBTQ+, and/or have lived experience of immigration, domestic violence, disability, and poverty to submit a proposal.
Send proposal and any written inquiries to Paula Alves, MCEDV Finance Director ,via email with “Contracted Bookkeeping Services Proposal” in the subject line to [email protected].
Proposals due November 30, 2022.